Thursday, May 21, 2009

Us again. This is the last, I swear.

I did not read the paper paper today, but here we are on the "front page" of the Times online. Holland Cotter's review was very nice; kind of funny.

I like his ending:
"Is this extreme piece of American eclecticism merely weird or really beautiful? Is it pop art or high craft or low-taste or no-taste, or what? Whatever it is, it is very right there, too preposterous to be pretentious, too busy to be self-conscious, too consumption-driven to be precious. A lot of art in the American Wing is like that and like it or not — and I do like it, sort of — it is us."

There is also a narrated panorama and a slide show. The slide show doesn't have any photos of the Ellison collection though - although there is a quote about it next to some of our redware - is that a mistake?

Edit: other mistakes - Alice Cooney Frelinghuysen's name totally wrong; George E. Ohr's name wrong; well, other typos... come on New York Times!!

No comments: