Back in April, I attended the Newport Symposium, which included a dinner at the Breakers. That evening, I was seated next to Anne Page - former interior designer, now artist, businesswoman, and philanthropist. She and her family started Nankeen, creating accessories out of blue and white hand-printed cotton from China. Their goal is to "provide a level of support for the 'old ways' and to create a market in which the traditional methods of production could ensure a livelihood for those still working in these ancient art forms." It took me a little while to go check out their website and products, but I'm glad I finally did. I always support the effort to employ traditional techniques while making something hip.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Nankeen
Back in April, I attended the Newport Symposium, which included a dinner at the Breakers. That evening, I was seated next to Anne Page - former interior designer, now artist, businesswoman, and philanthropist. She and her family started Nankeen, creating accessories out of blue and white hand-printed cotton from China. Their goal is to "provide a level of support for the 'old ways' and to create a market in which the traditional methods of production could ensure a livelihood for those still working in these ancient art forms." It took me a little while to go check out their website and products, but I'm glad I finally did. I always support the effort to employ traditional techniques while making something hip.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Patty. This is Anne Page from the Newport Symposium. It was great meeting you there and hope all is going well. Thanks for checking out our site and writing a blog. Keep up all your good work
Best, Anne
Hi Anne - things are well here. I've fixed the blog entry so that I have the correct name, nankeen. I inadvertently added on "style" after looking at the web address. Love your work, and have my eye on one of the trays (after my impending move to Brooklyn, I think)!
Post a Comment