Here is yet another topic of interest and potential project that I'll probably never get to, but hey - who knows. A while ago I read Alan Rosenberg's article on the Victorian revival during the 1930s. I feel like I've mentioned it here, but can't figure out where. I was a little bit amazed by the discovery of this particular revival, and Rosenberg gives a good introduction to the phenomenon as it manifested itself in the interior design field (he discusses examples in France and America). What he does not mention, however, is any role played by museums. I'm interested in when American museums first began collection and exhibiting Victorian design. During the 1930s, places like the Philadelphia Museum, the Newark Museum, the Metropolitan, and probably others were putting together little shows on the decorative arts of the period. Unfortunately, they weren't doing the extensive exhibition catalogues like we have now, but there were at least write-ups in newspapers (one snippet shown above from the Times). I'm sure there are other resources. This could end up being dissertation material though - and as the over-achiever Winterthur created, sometimes I'm not good at knowing when to stop.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Victoriana, take 2
Here is yet another topic of interest and potential project that I'll probably never get to, but hey - who knows. A while ago I read Alan Rosenberg's article on the Victorian revival during the 1930s. I feel like I've mentioned it here, but can't figure out where. I was a little bit amazed by the discovery of this particular revival, and Rosenberg gives a good introduction to the phenomenon as it manifested itself in the interior design field (he discusses examples in France and America). What he does not mention, however, is any role played by museums. I'm interested in when American museums first began collection and exhibiting Victorian design. During the 1930s, places like the Philadelphia Museum, the Newark Museum, the Metropolitan, and probably others were putting together little shows on the decorative arts of the period. Unfortunately, they weren't doing the extensive exhibition catalogues like we have now, but there were at least write-ups in newspapers (one snippet shown above from the Times). I'm sure there are other resources. This could end up being dissertation material though - and as the over-achiever Winterthur created, sometimes I'm not good at knowing when to stop.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment