Last night I brought home my pot. My stoneware pot. I saw it through the window of an antique shop on the property of Mass MoCA Saturday evening, and the next morning I was able to get my hands on it! It was produced by Horace Goodwin and Mack Webster of Hartford, CT. They were working from around 1810 to 1840, and in 1824 (so says an advertisement in the Hartford Times and Advertiser), they were selling their wares from Front Street, "40 rods south of State Street." The museum has a similar example. The shop also had a few Norton vessels, with a bit more decoration, but I love the plain, utilitarian versions. Instead of buying a new dress for our big opening in May, I now own the pot.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Now I Have Two "Priceless" Possessions
Last night I brought home my pot. My stoneware pot. I saw it through the window of an antique shop on the property of Mass MoCA Saturday evening, and the next morning I was able to get my hands on it! It was produced by Horace Goodwin and Mack Webster of Hartford, CT. They were working from around 1810 to 1840, and in 1824 (so says an advertisement in the Hartford Times and Advertiser), they were selling their wares from Front Street, "40 rods south of State Street." The museum has a similar example. The shop also had a few Norton vessels, with a bit more decoration, but I love the plain, utilitarian versions. Instead of buying a new dress for our big opening in May, I now own the pot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment