Saturday, October 13, 2007

Claire Coles Wallpaper


My mother, an awesome librarian at the Cleveland Museum of Art, often sends me books, articles from magazines and newspapers, and other tidbits that relate to what I study. She used to work in the library where I pretty much live now, and she is one of the few people who fully understand what I do and why. Anyway, a few days ago she sent me some material from the museum of wallpaper in Alsace, as well as a little clipping about Claire Coles. Coles is an artist and designer who makes a variety of objects including ceramics and wearable art, but the article was about her wallpaper creations. She uses old "forgotten" papers she collects, and stitches them together, sometimes adding leather and other materials. My favorite design from her website is this one with lamp shades, because, of course, I love the decorative art within the decorative art.

1 comment:

blah said...

Dear Retrograde, I just found your post on Claire Coles here & have just posted on her. I found her in my Living Etc. magazine - but have mentioned that you have posted on her . The way you found about her is lovely - from your mum :-)