Tuesday, October 16, 2007

December Interior

Here we are on another stop of the senile scenic tour* of my meager art collection. Another find in my favorite rare book store, I found this lone etching (come on, print connoisseurship block!) of December without any of its companion months. Because any possible identifying information has been cut off, I don't know much about it, or the where it comes from. Under usual circumstances I might try to find this out (maybe I'll write about one such project next), but I am too busy with school right now!

What we have going on here is probably a late 18th century (or even early 19th c., since the dude might be old and outdated, as he is in the "December" of his life...) interior, that might be British. The textiles are great here, because those are objects that tend not to survive as well in real life: the bed hangings, carpet, window hangings, and slip covers on various pieces of furniture. The hand coloring is nice too, though I never know how to tell when that would have been added. I have to figure out how to study interiors of all kinds. Can someone tell me where that job is?

*Thank you, Lorraine Buchbinder, for this phrase.

No comments: