Saturday, September 29, 2007

I'm a hypocrite: I love Ackermann's

I bought this print in August from a rare book store in Kennett Square, PA. Even though I worried earlier that John Derian might be taking books apart for the sake of art, this is clearly taken from Ackermann's Repository of Arts, a 19th century British periodical (and I'm okay with that). This "French Bed Chamber" was published in the May 1815 issue, which would have been about half the size of this image (which is about 7x10"). The larger page would have folded out to provide this view. I enjoy all the "stuff" I study, but I might most love interior scenes, both images and all variations of the period room. Even though this is obviously an idealized image of what a "French" bedroom should look like, it's still a useful source (and fun!). From browsing through the bound volumes of Ackermann's in our library, it seems that there were one or two images like this in each issue. Sometimes they were fashion plates, sometimes prescriptive interiors, maybe country houses, and other random scenes. I found a really great one of an interior of a shop filled with gifts to be given to a Chinese emperor (can't remember more details off the top of my head). So, they are both documentary and prescriptive: use with caution. Rare book stores around here seem to have Ackermann's prints fairly often. I also got a smaller one of a sideboard, and a classmate found one with a klismos chair and center table, both hand-colored like this one. They also make good apartment decoration for the poor dec arts grad student. I'm working on getting this archivally framed.

Really though, the bottom line is that I want to live in this little world pictured here.

No comments: