For fun today I flipped through my good ol' copy of Regency Furniture by Frances Collard. Though the author claims her work is out of date (as is much work done over 20 years ago; it just happens!), I worship this text. If anything, it's a great gathering of primary material, both objects and period images. I first came across the book when I was studying a sewing/music box in the form of a tiny regency piano. Inside, the text has tons of images: furniture, Ackermann's prints, sketches and watercolors of interiors. Collard, a curator at the V&A, was one of many great contacts I made while working on this little piano.My interest in this book, along with the list of things I studied last year (tiny piano, full size 1820s piano, early 19th c. prints, and 1820-30s interiors) forces me to admit that I have an obsession with this time period. It's nice to figure out what you're passionate about. Some day I will own a Grecian couch.

No comments:
Post a Comment