Monday, September 24, 2007

Ever seen one of these?

This semester I'm working on a specific type of painted box: like the one shown here, which sold at Pook & Pook in April, 2007. The group of boxes and blanket chests with these motifs are loosely attributed to the "compass artist." They are usually blue (now faded to green) or red, with this painted floral decoration which was mapped out with a compass or divider. Only two of them have the small drawers like this. So far I have tracked down 27 objects: 3 slide-lid boxes, 5 blanket chests, and 19 domed boxes. My job is to examine as many as I can to figure out how they were really made, who was making the boxes, who was decorating them (and was it the same person?), etc. I'm still on the lookout for more, but will begin detailed examination of the ones at my museum.

I guess I'm posting about this for two reasons: maybe people have seen more elsewhere, and also because specific projects help people understand what I do. Comparing this with my thesis gives you an idea of the range of projects I work on here.

No comments: