Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My Boyfriend...

the one my grandmother told me not to fall in love with... you know... because he likes boys.

Jeremiah (though he doesn't know it) is teaching me that big words are okay. I've always sort of been a "bring it to the people" kind of person when it comes to writing. I'm still that way about my own, but I'm slowly learning to appreciate texts that I should've during graduate school. Enough to even re-read a sentence four times, rather than stuff that book on the shelf and pick up Harry Potter. (I will never let go of my 19th-century novels though)

To balance this, we are also low-culture aficionados. Did you see the Sex and the City movie and Mamma Mia? We did. Have you been to Papaya Dog and Sassy's Sliders? We have. Have you had your credit card declined at Century 21? I'll stop there, lest we get too embarrassed.

What I'm trying to say is, love the high and the low. Yes, I contribute to articles about looking at a dovetail under a microscope, but that doesn't stop me from also being ridiculous. I mean, fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you back at the Blog!
I was very sorry to here about Elvis. I know what it is like to lose a beloved pet.
Marsha

Jessica said...

Aww... My 'boyfriend' is named Mark. And it was a slightly awkward conversation with the mum, when she said, "You know, you and Mark are really close..."