Monday, November 26, 2007

My compass box

As an exercise for my connoisseurship project, I made my own compass box. The good thing is, my work could never be mistaken for the original (and I painted an old cigar box...). I bought a compass with two points (no pencil) and then scribed the lines. Then I painted it blue, and then applied the red and white over the lines, and did a little of the freehand stuff too. I used the box in the Katcher Collection (see the Expressions of Eloquence catalogue) as a model. The cool thing is, I think the boxes really were this bright when they were first made. I also realized that it really doesn't take much work to create these: I purposefully didn't try super hard to make it perfect, and it's not so bad! The compass marks don't even need measuring, I just eyeballed those.

1 comment:

blah said...

Dear retrograde - very cool! esp the last one on the right - your compasses are very lucky to have such yummy boxes - mine's in the drawer!

Have a great Christmas :-)
ATAB