Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dead or Alive


Guess what? It's summer! Evidence comes in the form of heat rather than vacation (unfortunately). Today Katie and I hid in MAD for a little while. The big show right now is called Dead or Alive. I'd like to take home Tim Tate and Marc Petrovic's Apothecarium Moderne. Above is a closeup of the bottle labeled "Ennui." Made me giggle... hope that's not disrespectful. The bottles are filled with found and made elements, covered in etched writing, topped with themed stoppers. I like that they're not made totally of found pieces, that there is obviously some glass-making going on here (if that makes sense). The Ennui bottle stopper has a tiny exclamation mark blown into it.


Also really cool (and weird) is the work of Levi van Veluw. He basically landscapes his own head.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to see that! Your post was a much needed reminder. I like the look of the Cauda Equina.

tim tate said...

Thank you so much for noticing my work with Marc Petrovic. I'm so glad it made you laugh.....there is much humor in the piece.

pke said...

Tim, your work is amazing! Sorry for not crediting Marc too (will edit that now).