Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Oh, to be young and in love in Paris...

I recently mentioned reading letters written by my parents from Paris in 1978. I can't wait until I have to time to read every letter, but for now here are a few bits from two that I borrowed.

My father's parents visited for Christmas that year, and my mother wrote them, "... look for us at the airport. I'll be the one with the wild hair + Jim with pink cheeks + a checkered scarf."



In October, 1978, she wrote:

About the open air market, "With a large basket in hand, Jim and I wander through and buy artichokes, beets, eggs, sausage, cheeses (oh so lovely!) and flowers."

About the patisserie on rue de Babylone, "But, the windows full of them [pastries] are more beautiful than jewels."

About their apartment at 34 rue de Liege, "I am sure it will be cold though, for the windows start at waist level and rise 8' or 9' to the ceiling!" and "There is a little cafe across the street where one can go in and buy two cups of coffee, take them across the street (in ceramic cups! not paper) and later return them!"

And included the floorplan of their apartment:

3 comments:

The Elegant Thrifter said...

This is such a beautiful little post. I'd love to hear more. Your parents are adorable in this photo....and your dad does slightly resembles Hamish Bowles....less anorexic! Have a great day! Stan

pke said...

Aw, thanks! Next time I'm home I'll be going through all of their letters - can't wait!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.