
Welcome to Dia: Beacon!! The red arrow is pointing to what I touched. That cube is lined with mirrors, set at angles... I don't have the energy to describe it. This piece asked me to look into it, to bend over (it's about waist-high for me). Bending over, deeply, I set my hands on the edges. Then I got yelled at, big time. I ran away, leaving me no time to find a label, hence the crappy image grabbed from flickr and lack of information here. I haven't touched art I'm not supposed to before. And, as I've been paid to touch art for over three years now, I'm sensitive about it. Sorry! This was the most pretentious "museum" I've ever been to. I swear I'm not just saying that because of how loud the guard screamed at me.
PROS: really cool historic structure overlooking the Hudson Valley; big comfy sofas that help you actually stop and look at art
CONS: nasty guards; ban on photography; label text that requires a PhD. and lacks context

1 comment:
I was reading the novel "The Museum Guard" on the subway this afternoon and came across this choice tidbit, which seems apropos:
"Every visitor is Ma'am or Sir. No exceptions, no matter how they're behaving. Should someone touch a painting, first of give them a polite warning. Most people, you'll find, are utterly surprised. They don't even realize what they've done. Often you'll find that's true... Disorderly persons of any ilk do not get a second chance in my museum. Get them to leave, directly. Of course, use your best judgement. Avoid an argument. Keep your voice at an even keel."
A shame that dragon lady guard will never read this. But really, I haven't seen someone shoot fire out of their eyes like that since... actually, I can't remember a time.
Post a Comment